Senate Bill 148 and House Bill 222 were the pieces of legislation that originally created the Wilmington Education Improvement Commission (WEIC). The WEIC legislation was amended and updated to sunset WEIC and create the Redding Consortium for Educational Equity. Click the bills below to view details. The legislation was amended to specifically and explicitly focus on educational equity.
Charges of the Consortium
Listed below are highlights from Senate Bill 148, these are some items the Consortium is mandated to work on. These items mainly focus on monitoring student outcomes, evaluating the need for change in terms of educational equity, and identifying ways to make changes through an equity lens.
- The Consortium shall monitor the educational progress and outcomes of students in the City of Wilmington as well as all low-income, English learners and other students at risk across northern New Castle County. It shall develop and publish data reports on the conditions impacting the educational outcomes of these students and also track the progress of these students
- The Consortium shall recommend policies and actions to the Governor and General Assembly that support the continuous improvement of public education in the City of Wilmington and northern New Castle County. It shall spotlight best practices from across the state and nation for increasing educational equity, improving educational outcomes, and strengthening school and community services. It shall facilitate collaboration on implementation of best practices among school districts and charter schools and may implement pilot projects It shall also facilitate the consistent engagement of impacted communities to strengthen and inform its work
- The Consortium shall evaluate the need for additional or alternative educational facilities in the City of Wilmington including secondary schools
- The Consortium shall develop policy proposals to be introduced through legislation to improve teaching and learning in both district and charter schools in the City of Wilmington and northern New Castle County
- The Consortium shall develop a proposal for redistricting in the City of Wilmington and northern New Castle County that will include provisions stipulated in concurrent legislation formulated specifically for that purpose with designated responsibilities and timelines for action at all levels
- The Consortium shall research the viability of the New Castle County Tax District and Tax Pool